Get to Know Me

My photo
I am currently a senior at a CSU, working on my Undergraduate Criminal Justice Degree. The purpose of this blog is to educate and inform anyone about gangs. I will be focusing on everything that has to do with gangs. The reason that I choose to make my blog about gangs is because after i graduate I want to focus in working with gangs. While doing research about my topic I will be expanding my own knowledge about gangs. I find the "Gang World" to be very intriguing, therefore it should be a very exciting journey for and hopefully for my readers as well. Let the learning begin. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gang Mentality

Reputation, Respect, Retaliation/Revenge

In order to better understand the gang mentality, Reputation, Respect, Retaliation/Revenge are the main aspects of the gang culture:


(1) REPUTATION/REP:
Having a reputation is a very important aspect of  being a Gang member.  A reputation does not only extend to individual Gang members but the entire gang as a whole. In some gangs, having “juice” (respect) in gained within the Gang itself, depending on how much juice a gang member has achieved, determines his or her status or rank in the gang.  Having “juice” is very important in the gang world, how they get their “juice” is also a very important factor. Gang members usually use their past experiences, jail time, crimes, fights and drug dealing as an attempt to impress others. Within the Gang, freely expressing past crimes gives that Gang member power and respect.


(2) RESPECT:
This is something everyone wants and some gang members carry their desire for it to the extreme. Respect is sought for not only the individual, but also for one's set or gang, family, territory, and various other things, real or perceived in the mind of the "gangbanger". Some gangs require, by written or spokenregulation, that the gang member must always show disrespect to rival gang members (dis). If a gang member witnesses a fellow member failing to “dis” a rival gang through hand signs, graffiti, or a simple "mad dog" or stare-down, they can issue a "violation" to their fellow posse member and he/she can actually be "beaten down" by their own gang as punishment.


(3) RETALIATION/REVENGE: It must be understood that in gang culture, no challenge goes unanswered. Drive-by shooting or any other violent act usually follows by a “dis” (disrespect).  The most common way to that Gangs revenge is by physically fighting it out. If the Gang is outnumbered they usually go and find more of their “homies” to keep their reputation. Sometimes they returned right away and continue fighting or the Gang takes some time to plan their revenge. It must also be understood that many acts of violence are the result of bad drug deals or infringement on drug territory. Some question the authenticity of gang rivalry in shootings and other acts of violence

Sources: http://www.ncjrs.gov

1 comment:

  1. So I commented on this and it apparently never posted. Swell. Anyway, I think this was a good post- you kept it simple and to the point. Gangs and gang life can really be fascinating and it's important to know the reasoning behind their actions first. I've always found it so interesting that gangs pride themselves on unity and respect within the group, but will turn on one another at the drop of a hat. I can tell you that I would be a terrible gang member. I wouldn't last a week. Great job Brenda... keep bringing us great posts!

    ReplyDelete