Get to Know Me

My photo
I am currently a senior at a CSU, working on my Undergraduate Criminal Justice Degree. The purpose of this blog is to educate and inform anyone about gangs. I will be focusing on everything that has to do with gangs. The reason that I choose to make my blog about gangs is because after i graduate I want to focus in working with gangs. While doing research about my topic I will be expanding my own knowledge about gangs. I find the "Gang World" to be very intriguing, therefore it should be a very exciting journey for and hopefully for my readers as well. Let the learning begin. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

How did Gangs Originate

"Once found principally in large cities, violent street gangs now affect public safety, community image, and quality of life in communities of all sizes in urban, suburban, and rural areas. No region of the United States is untouched by gangs. Gangs affect society at all levels, causing heightened fears for safety, violence, and economic costs" ( 2005 National Gang Threat Assessment, National Alliance of Gang Investigators Associations, 2005).


Definition of a Gang:

               There are many ways to define the meaning of a Gang. One common definition of a gang is a group of three or more individuals who engage in criminal activity and identify themselves with a common name or sign.

How Gangs Originated?

Gangs were first originated so that ethnic or neighbored groups could defend themselves against other people/outsiders. Gang names were usually taken by the area that the gang reside in, which could be the street number or street name. Also, many gangs used their own ethnic ID to name their gang, for example; “The downtown Paddies (Irish).” Some gang names came from a organization that the gang might be involve with. For example, there is an organization in Chicago called “Blackstone Street,” which helps organize sports and feeding the poor groups on the south side of the city, gang members turned “Blackstone Street” into “Blackstone Nation."

There are many reasons why people group up and make a gang.  Gangs see that violence gets them what they want faster than most other methods. They turn to violence for fun, profit and most of all control. Most of these people that formed the gangs were minorities who were being oppressed or bullied because of their race. The Irish, Jewish, and Italian gangs all came around the mid 1800’s, Black and Mexican gangs started in the US in the 1940’s with the great migration from rural life to urban and from Mexico to the “Barrios” or Los Angeles.





Although many gangs are formed to protect themselves from others there are those like the KKK which formed to protect themselves from reconstruction of government and to “save” their anglo saxon ethnicity. Due to the power of some gangs like all power tends to corrupt.











The 10 Most Dangerous Gangs In the World

This Video is a very good example of some of the most dangerous gangs in the world. Yes you heard correct WORLD. I will be discussing some of these gangs in future blogs. Stay Tune.



7 comments:

  1. I do agree with your post that many gangs were formed for protective reasons. But do you feel as though the original reasons for joining a gang has been messed up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel that the original reason that people formed or joined a gang has changed. From what I have seen, many young kids join gangs to be "cool" or to "fit in." I am curious to what you have to say. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good point it's not about safety at all anymore which is sad because most people have no choice to join its the only thing they know but kids now adays wants a life like GTA

      Delete
    2. Sometimes they need protection from someone in their home as well, so they will run to the gangs for that protection.

      Delete
  3. Yes I totally agree with your hypothesis. Many younger adolescence are joining gangs just to look cool. I have also noticed that they age in which kids are joining gangs are getting younger and younger. This is definitely a tragedy because this shows us what current society we live in. The innocense of our children are slowly being deminished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both great points kids now adays wants a life like GTA I was offered myself to join a gang but I don't take orders so great always seen myself a leader instead someone's bitch I'm nothing to be feared for I'm nothing big but I have heart I'm too happy knowing I protect people instead of terrorizing them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gangs are really bad nkw days I agree

    ReplyDelete